The release went off without a hitch, following the usual protocol.
- Step 1: take bird to its home territory (more or less);
- Step 2: Open transport container;
- Step 3: Wait 5-10 seconds as it dawns on the bird it can fly away
- Step 4: Attempt to photograph a creature flying away at approximately the speed of light
- Step 5: Take photos of bird in native habitat if possible;
- Step 6: Slink away when someone else shows up so you don’t have to explain what you’re doing.
Update: This juvenile is now his mother’s problem. He was released without incident other than biting as he was scooped up for the trip home. I think we can safely declare him ornery enough to thrive as a wild crow.